Thursday, October 28, 2010

Longing

There are certain times in my life when the longing is stronger than others and for whatever reason, my longing is strong right now. Perhaps it is because right now life is hard. And certainly not just for me but for so many of us. As our Gospel Doctrine teacher said on Sunday, "Mortality is hard." I've always known this fact, I grew up watching first hand a man live a life that was hard but as I'm encountering my own experiences that are difficult and watching those close to me experience different challenges, that realization is becoming more true. And ever since my dad died, I've felt more than ever that mortality is hard and life is fragile. But what is the longing I am referring to? It is the longing to be more like my Savior. To have Him a part of me, to have Him a part of my home and my family. And not just on Sunday's but every single day. It is to feel Him close so that His Spirit can overcome the discouraging feelings I battle when life is hard. It is to have Him as my reminder of hope and joy. It is to have His spirit remind me that at the end of the day His gospel brings a peace that can overtake my frustrations. I decided on Sunday to make the following hymn my personal creed:

More holiness give me,
more strivings within,
more patience in suff'ring
more sorrow for sin,
more faith in my Savior,
more sense of his care,
more joy in his service,
more purpose in prayer.

More gratitude give me,
More trust in the Lord,
More pride in his glory,
More hope in his word,
More tears for his sorrows,
More pain at his grief,
More meekness in trial,
More praise for relief.

More purity give me,
More strength to o'ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains
More longing for home.
More fit for the kingdom,
More used would I be,
More blessed and holy-
More Savior, like thee.

Because so often this is how I feel; that if I could be just a portion of who my Savior is, a little more Savior like, then possibly I could lift my family when life is hard, comfort others when they struggle and help remind me that although things can be difficult, life is good and I am blessed and that the reward at the end of the journey will be worth all I experience now.

I know this is quite an entry after a long absence from blogging but it has been on my mind all week and I felt I just had to share. Stay tuned for some great pictures and updates on my sweet family.

2 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Oh man this has been on my mind too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Your dad is such an inspiration. It is for others and myself to say how we would act during hard times but man is it hard when you are in it. You definetly gain a whole new appreciation for people.

I have found that becoming like the Savior also has to be a balance for me. I try and do all I can do without becoming overwhelmed with everything there is for me to learn myself and for me to teach my children. It's a fine balance that I try and keep in check. I'm sure other women struggle with as well. (At least I'm hoping I'm not the only one.)

Obviously by my babbling I have been thinking about this allot. I can't wait to see pictures of your cute family. Keep your chin up, which is easier said than done.

Jen said...

This is such a special song.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)
XOXO